Simple Chilli con Carne
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 700g (1 lb 9oz) stewing beef, fat removed and cut into 1-2cm cubes
- 1-2 onions, chopped
- 5 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 400g (140z) tin of tomatoes
- 1 x 280g jar of Ballymaloe Jalapeno Pepper Relish
- 1 green or red chilli, chopped (leave the seeds in)
- 1-2 tsp ground cumin
- 400g (14oz) tin kidney bins, drained
- Sour cream, coriander leaves and grated cheddar cheese to garnish
This is ideal for wintry weather, it also makes an excellent burrito filling. If you like it hot, try adding an extra chilli!
Heat the olive oil in a casserole or saucepan. Season the meat with salt and pepper and cook until the meat browns slightly, add the onion and garlic and stir for a minute. Add the tin of tomatoes, Ballymaloe Jalapeno Pepper Relish, chopped chilli and a good pinch of salt. Cover with a lid, bring it to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for an hour or until the meat is cooked ( it should be nice and tender). By the end of the cooking time, the liquid should have reduced to a thick sauce. If it gets too dry during cooking, just add a little more water or liquid from the beans. (You can also out into the oven at 150°C/ 300°F/Gas Mark 2). Finally, add the cumin, kidney beans and simmer for a further 10 minutes.
Serve with rice, a spoonful of sour cream, some grated cheddar and coriander leaves. This is also delicious served in a burrito, simply heat a tortilla wrap and spoon the chilli con carne onto the wrap with some lettuce, cheddar cheese, sour cream and guacamole.