The Quintessential Glazed Ham
- Cooking Time: 3 hours 20 minutes - Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4
- Serves: 6-8
- Allergens: Sulphites
A good glazed ham is a thing of beauty and Ballymaloe Ham Glaze is guaranteed to bring out the best in this meaty delight. We recommend soaking your ham before cooking to remove any extra saltiness. Simply place the ham in cold water overnight, and drain well before preparing for glazing. We suggest using ham on the bone as its flavour is often deeper. The perfect glazed ham is all about timing, so be sure to have a kitchen timer or two to hand!
- 4-5kg/9-11 lb ham on the bone
- Ballymaloe Ham Glaze
- Bay leaves to decorate
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4.
- Put the ham in a large roasting tin and cover tightly with foil. Bake for 3 hours.
- Remove the ham from the oven and turn the heat up to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6.
- Using the back of a spoon, carefully remove the rind from the ham, leaving about 1-2 cm of fat, then cut a diamond-shaped pattern into the remaining fat.
- Generously spoon Ballymaloe Ham Glaze over the ham.
- Roast for 20 minutes uncovered, remembering to baste every 5 minutes until the ham is tender and the outside is nice and sticky.
- Decorate a large platter with bay leaves and place the glazed ham in the middle, creating a wonderful centrepiece for your table.