Classic Cheese Frittata with Ballymaloe Pepper or Fiery Relish
- Cooking Time: 40 minutes - Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4
- Serves: 2-4
- Allergens: Egg, dairy
A frittata is the gift that keeps giving. Not only is it fun to say out loud, it’s one of those dishes that’s not just versatile and tasty, but can be scaled up or scaled down to feed one or 20, and can even be served hot or cold. A frittata is egg-actly what you need for an easy meal that packs real flavour, courtesy of the right herbs and some strong cheese. This recipe uses a variety of fresh herbs, but dried oregano and thyme work equally well. Ballymaloe Original Relish is a tried and tested, tasty accompaniment, but for a little more heat, serve with Ballymaloe Pepper Relish and, if you REALLY want to heat things up, try our Fiery Relish.
- 8 large, free-range eggs
- 120ml whole milk / cream
- 1tsp all-purpose flour (optional)
- 70g grated cheese (Parmesan, an aged Cheddar or even an aged goat’s milk cheese)
- ½ cup fresh herbs (chopped)
- 1 tsp olive oil
- Salt to taste (use less if your cheese is salty)
- Freshly-ground black pepper
- Ballymaloe Original Relish / Ballymaloe Pepper Relish / Ballymaloe Fiery Relish
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4.
- In a large bowl, lightly whisk the eggs together (just enough to break them up).
- Add the cream, flour (optional) and salt & pepper and whisk to blend.
- Add your cheese and fresh herbs. Fry off a small amount of the mixture and taste, then adjust the seasoning if necessary.
- Heat the oil in a 10 inch, non-stick oven-proof pan on a medium heat.
- When hot, add the egg mixture to the pan, cover with a lid and let it cook until the eggs are lightly set around the edges (approximately 10-12 minutes.)
- Remove the lid and put your pan in the oven.
- Bake the frittata for 15 minutes, until the top is puffed and golden, and the egg has set fully.
- Slide the frittata out of the pan on to a cutting board and let it rest for 5 minutes. For a main course for four people, simply cut into four slices.
- Serve with Ballymaloe Original, Pepper or Fiery Relish and a green salad.