Lilly Higgins’ Beetroot & Barley Salad with Ballymaloe Diced Irish Beetroot
- Cooking Time: 40 minutes
- Serves: 6
- Allergens: Nuts, wheat, dairy
Want to change a simple salad into something simply marvellous? This beetroot & barley salad from Lilly Higgins fits the bill. Barley, hazelnuts, a homemade goat’s cheese dressing and Ballymaloe Diced Irish Beetroot combine to give this dish a winning array of tastes & textures. Our beetroot is grown, cooked and packed in East Cork and possesses an earthiness that’s hard to find in any other beetroot.
- Ballymaloe Diced Irish Beetroot (415g jar, drained)
- 300g pearl barley
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp red wine or balsamic vinegar
- 150g soft goat’s cheese
- 2 tbsp milk
- 200g mixed baby salad leaves
- 100g hazelnuts (toasted & roughly chopped)
- Salt & black pepper
- Rinse the barley well in a sieve under running water. Place in a saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to the boil, then drain immediately. Cover once more with cold water and bring to boiling point again. Lower the heat and leave to simmer for 15-20 minutes, until the barley is cooked but still retains some bite. Drain and place in a large bowl. Immediately dress with three tablespoons of olive oil and a tablespoon of vinegar. Season with salt & black pepper. Set aside to cool.
- Place the goat’s cheese in a small bowl along with one or two tablespoons of milk. Use a whisk or fork to whip the two together until the mixture reachers a nice, thick consistency (it will firm up a little after mixing). Set aside.
- Once the barley has cooled, toss it gently with the salad leaves to combine. Distribute among 4-6 serving plates. Scatter the Ballymaloe Diced Irish Beetroot cubes and chopped hazelnuts over the top, then drizzle with your goat’s cheese dressing.
- Serve immediately with a refreshing glass of something cold!