Sausage Roll Garland
- Cooking Time: 55/60 minutes
- Serves: 6/8
- Allergens: egg, wheat, dairy
This recipe is perfect for sharing and for get togethers, as the garland looks great when it’s out of the oven and it tastes wonderful. A good mix of herbs with the pork mince are a lovely match for the tomatoes and spices in Ballymaloe Original Relish. You can also serve with Ballymaloe Original Relish and Ballymaloe Pepper Relish on the side.
- For the sausage mix:
- 225g Lean pork, minced
- 225g Pork fat, minced
- 1 Clove garlic, crushed
- 2 Teaspoons thyme, marjoram, basil and rosemary, mixed and chopped
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 ½ cups soft breadcrumbs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- For the pastry:
- 350g all butter puff pastry
- Ballymaloe Original Relish
- 1 egg, beaten
- A little milk
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4.
- Combine all the ingredients for the sausages together and mix well. Fry a little of the mixture on a frying pan to check the seasoning, adjust if necessary.
- On a floured work surface, if using homemade puff pastry: roll the pastry out into a big rectangle, a little thicker than a one euro coin. Roll the sausage mixture into a sausage shape with your hands and lay it lengthwise on one side of the rectangle.
- Spread Ballymaloe Original Relish over the pastry, leaving the last ¼ free for sealing. Roll the sausage and pastry into tube, pressing the seam together. Join both ends together forming a circle, pressing to seal tightly.
- Place on a parchment lined baking sheet. Mix the egg and milk and brush the pastry with the mixture. Using a sharp knife, score through the garland to within 1cm of the inside, at 2.5cm intervals.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25 minutes or until puffed, golden and cooked through. Serve with more Ballymaloe Original Relish on the side.