Smoked Bacon and Macaroni Muffin bakes
- Cooking Time: 45 minutes
- Serves: 6/12
- Allergens: wheat, dairy
Ballymaloe Smoked Bacon Pasta Sauce contains the unique taste of rare breed bacon, which is perfect in these muffin bakes. The combination of the sauce, cheese and macaroni gives these bite sized bakes an Italian flavour with a bit of bite, which goes really well with the lovely caramelised cheese topping.
- 500g macaroni
- 150g red pepper (finely diced)
- 2 cloves garlic (finely chopped)
- 4 oz cream
- 30g Cheddar (grated)
- 30g Mozzarella (grated)
- 3 dsp plain/cream flour
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Extra Virgin olive oil for brushing two muffin tins / large traybake tin
- 400g jar of Ballymaloe Smoked Bacon Pasta Sauce
- Cheesy Topping:
- 25g Cheddar (grated)
- 25g Mozzarella (grated)
- 15g Parmesan (grated)
- Pre-heat your oven to 200°C (fan oven: 180⁰C)
- Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil, add the salt and macaroni. and boil for 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to sit for 4 minutes with the lid on. Drain and set aside while you make the sauce.
- In a separate saucepan, sweat the pepper and garlic in the olive oil and butter, until soft but not coloured and season well. Add in the flour and stir to combine. Cook off the flour for three minutes, while stirring continuously.
- Add the Ballymaloe Smoked Bacon Pasta Sauce and gently stir. Pour a little water into the jar to release any sauce that was stuck and add this with the cream, to the pan.
- Bring the sauce to the boil and stir continuously until it thickens.
- Stir in your Cheddar and mozzarella, keeping a little aside for toppings.
- Stir in the cooked macaroni, ensuring it is all coated evenly.
- Place two heaped tablespoons of the mixture into each oiled muffin shape, pat down and bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, sprinkle your grated cheese trio on top, and return to the oven for a further 10 minutes.
- Once golden and bubbling, remove from the oven and place the muffin trays on a wire rack, allowing them to sit for ten minutes before removing and serving.