Spicy Black Bean Burgers
- Cooking Time: 45 minutes
- Serves: 6
- Allergens: egg, wheat
Bean burgers are very satisfying and this recipe from Lilly Higgins works a treat. She serves her burgers with guacamole on the side. They are great with a dollop of Ballymaloe Original Relish or Ballymaloe Pepper Relish for a bit of added heat.
- 460g Cooked black beans (drained)
- 200g Sweetcorn
- 2 Cloves garlic
- 1 Teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 Teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 Teaspoon smoked or regular sea salt
- 20g Fresh coriander (stalks and leaves finely chopped)
- 1 Free-range egg (whisked)
- 180g Cream crackers (crushed)
- Ballymaloe Original Relish or Ballymaloe Pepper Relish
- Place the garlic in a food processor and blitz until finely chopped.
- Add the beans, sweetcorn, paprika, cayenne pepper, salt and coriander.
- Pulse until the mixture has been combined and some of the corn and beans have been puréed - you need to avoid the entire mixture becoming a wet mush so only blitz it a little bit.
- Transfer to a mixing bowl and stir in the egg and cracker crumbs. The mixture should combine nicely into a workable ‘dough’. This whole process can easily be done in a bowl with a potato masher or fork.
- Using wet hands shape into six equal sized patties.
- Place on a plate and cover with cling film.
- Leave to rest in the fridge for 15-20 minutes.
- Heat a heavy based frying pan over a medium heat.
- Add a little olive oil and fry the burgers for about 4 minutes on each side until golden
- Serve in warmed bread rolls with sweet potato wedges, salad, sour cream, guacamole and Ballymaloe Original Relish.