Vegetable Fajitas with Ballymaloe Spicy Tomato Pasta Sauce
- Cooking Time: 30 minutes
- Serves: 4-6
- Allergens: Dairy, wheat
This recipe is packed with tasty vegetables and pulses, including red & yellow peppers, spinach, onions and chickpeas. We use Ballymaloe Spicy Tomato Pasta Sauce as the base for our sauce as its mix of spices is a match made in heaven with the fresh chili and coriander. Our pea guacamole is a light alternative to traditional, avocado-based guacamole – but either is delicious with these fabulous fajitas!
- 4-6 medium tortilla wraps of your choice
- 100g tinned chickpeas
- Ballymaloe Spicy Tomato Pasta Sauce (180g jar)
- 150g frozen peas
- ½ tsp red chili (finely-chopped)
- 50g red onion (thinly-sliced)
- 150g mushrooms (quartered)
- 80g yellow pepper (sliced)
- 80g baby spinach leaves
- 80g red pepper (sliced)
- Lemon wedge (for juice)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Natural yoghurt
- Handful of fresh coriander
- Preheat the oven to 160°C/320°F/Gas Mark 3.
- First make the pea guacamole: Boil a pint of water and add a teaspoon of salt. Bring it back to the boil and then stir in the peas. Cook on a high heat for 5 minutes. It is important to retain 60ml of the pea cooking water for later use so make sure to put it aside.
- Once the peas are drained, return them to the pot and mash them roughly. Add in the cooking liquid slowly, followed by half a teaspoon of chopped red chili and a few drops of lemon juice. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- To prepare the veggies: heat the oil in a large frying pan and add the mushrooms. Season with salt & pepper and quickly fry for 5 minutes. Add the onions and mixed peppers and fry for a further 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle in the spices and a pinch of salt, then cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Add in your Ballymaloe Spicy Tomato Pasta Sauce and the water you kept and the 60ml of pea cooking water you set aside, along with the spinach and the chickpeas. Stir and cook for a further 5 minutes or until the spinach wilts fully. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Warm the wraps in the oven for 10 minutes. Place the spicy vegetable filling down the centre of your warm wrap, top it with pea guacamole, coriander leaves and a drizzle of natural yoghurt. Wrap tight and serve immediately!