Roasted Aubergine, Cheddar & Ballymaloe Relish Open Sandwich
- Cooking Time: 1 hour - Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6
- Serves: 1
- Allergens: Wheat, dairy
This roasted aubergine and Cheddar open sandwich gets a big boost from some Ballymaloe Relish (or, for a little bit of heat, try Ballymaloe Pepper Relish). Ciabatta is the perfect bread for this sandwich as it will soak up any olive oil and can carry the aubergine without being too sloppy. Add a sprinkling of salt & pepper and a little chopped parsley and you’ve got yourself a tasty veggie lunch. Yes, there’s a bit of time involved in making this particular sandwich but, trust us, it’s totally worth the wait!
- Ciabatta (or bread of your choice)
- 1 aubergine (roasted)
- 100g Cheddar cheese
- Ballymaloe Relish
- Olive oil
- Butter for spreading
- Salt & pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6.
- Carefully slice the aubergine into discs, then brush each side with olive oil and place on a roasting tray. Season with salt & pepper.
- Bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes, turning every so often. If one appears cooked before the rest remove from the tray and continue to cook the others.
- Spread a layer of butter on the cut side of the ciabatta and pop your Cheddar on top. Toast under the grill until the cheese bubbles.
- Add a generous dollop of Ballymaloe Relish or Ballymaloe Pepper Relish, followed by the roasted aubergine, then garnish with chopped parsley and serve straight away.