Ballymaloe Lasagne for Two
- Cooking Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- Serves: 2
- Allergens: dairy, wheat
Ballymaloe Bolognese Sauce, made with 100% natural ingredients, is packed full of ripe tomatoes and a careful blend of herbs and spices, white wine vinegar and olive oil. It’s cooked slowly and carefully to give a depth of flavour which needs nothing added but good quality mince, for the perfect lasagne. This recipe comes courtesy of Grace O’Driscoll.
- 4 lasagne pasta sheets
- 3 tbsp Parmesan (grated)
- For the Bolognese:
- 1 x 400g Ballymaloe Bolognese Pasta Sauce
- 225g minced beef
- For the béchamel:
- 150ml milk
- 1 Bay leaf
- 2 Slices of carrot
- 2 Slices of onion
- 2 Peppercorns
- A sprig of parsley
- 20g Roux
- Salt and pepper
- No Artificial Additives
- To make the béchamel, put the milk, carrot, onion, bay leaf, peppercorns and parsley in a saucepan. Bring to the boil and allow to simmer for 3-4 minutes
- Take off the heat and allow the flavours to infuse for 10 minutes
- Strain the pot, keeping only the flavoured milk, put it back on the heat and return to the boil.
- Add the roux and whisk.
- Reduce the heat so that the liquid bubbles gently and continue to stir until it is a coating consistency.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- To make the Bolognese, cook the minced beef thoroughly in a saucepan and add your Ballymaloe Bolognese Pasta Sauce, heating it until it bubbles.
- Preheat the oven to 230⁰C. You are now ready to assemble your lasagne.
- First, blanche the sheets for 2 minutes in boiling salted water.
- Lightly oil your lasagne dish, add a layer of béchamel, cover with a sheet of pasta, top with a layer of the Bolognese, next a layer of béchamel and a sprinkling of Parmesan.
- Add the next sheet of pasta, then the Bolognese, then béchamel and a sprinkling of Parmesan, then the next layer of pasta.
- Repeat, then add a final layer of pasta, then béchamel and a final sprinkling of Parmesan.
- Bake in the oven until golden on top and bubbling; this will take about 20 minutes.
- Serve with a green salad and garlic bread.