The Perfect Lasagne with Ballymaloe Bolognese Sauce
- Cooking Time: 1 hour 20 minutes - Preheat the oven to 230°C/450°F/Gas Mark 8
- Serves: 2
- Allergens: Dairy, wheat
Ballymaloe Bolognese Sauce, made with 100% natural ingredients, is packed full of ripe tomatoes and a carefully-chosen blend of herbs & spices. It’s cooked slowly and carefully to give a depth of flavour which needs nothing added but good-quality mince (beef or lamb), to help you make the perfect lasagne. This recipe comes courtesy of Grace O’Driscoll.
- 4 lasagne pasta sheets
- 3 tbsp Parmesan (grated)
- For your Bolognese:
- Ballymaloe Bolognese Pasta Sauce (400g jar)
- 225g minced beef
- For your Béchamel:
- 150ml milk
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 carrot slices
- 2 onion slices
- 2 peppercorns
- Parsley sprig
- 20g roux
- Salt & pepper
- Preheat the oven to 230°C/450°F/Gas Mark 8.
- To make the béchamel, put the milk, carrot, onion, bay leaf, peppercorns and parsley in a saucepan. Bring to the boil and allow to simmer for 3-4 minutes.
- Take off the heat and allow the flavours to infuse for 10 minutes.
- Strain the pot, keeping only the flavoured milk, then put it back on the heat and return to the boil.
- Add the roux and whisk.
- Reduce the heat so that the liquid bubbles gently and continue to stir until it is of a coating consistency.
- Season with salt & pepper.
- To make the bolognese, cook the minced beef thoroughly in a saucepan and add your Ballymaloe Bolognese Pasta Sauce, heating it until it bubbles.
- You are now ready to assemble your lasagne. First, blanche the lasagne sheets for 2 minutes in boiling, salted water.
- Lightly oil your lasagne dish, add a layer of béchamel, cover with a sheet of pasta, top with a layer of your bolognese, next a layer of béchamel and a sprinkling of Parmesan.
- Add the next sheet of pasta, then the bolognese, then béchamel and a sprinkling of Parmesan, then the next layer of pasta.
- Repeat, then add a final layer of pasta, then béchamel and a final sprinkling of Parmesan.
- Bake in the oven until golden on top and bubbling - this will take about 20 minutes.
- Serve with a crisp green salad and garlic bread.