- Cooking Time: 30 / 45 minutes
- Serves: 6
- Allergens: wheat, dairy, egg
Adding a little melted butter to your pancake batter adds flavour and also stops the pancake from sticking to the pan. A spoonful of Ballymaloe Original Relish brings out the flavour of both meat and cheese, so it’s the perfect ingredient for this recipe.
- For the pancakes:
- 170g plain white flour
- Pinch of salt
- 2 Large free-range eggs and 1 or 2 egg yolks
- 450ml milk
- 3-4 Teaspoons melted butter
- For the filling:
- Ballymaloe Original Relish
- Sieve the flour and salt into a bowl, make a well in the centre and drop in the lightly beaten eggs. With a whisk or wooden spoon, starting in the centre, mix the egg and gradually bring in the flour. Add the liquid slowly and beat until the batter is covered with bubbles.
- You can also stir in a few tablespoons of freshly chopped herbs at this stage.
- Let the batter stand in a cold place for a few minutes.
- Just before you cook the pancakes, stir in 3-4 dessertspoons of melted butter. This will make all the difference to the flavour and texture of the pancakes and will make it possible to cook them without greasing the pan each time
- Heat a non-stick pan over a high heat and pour in a small ladleful of batter or just enough to coat the base of the pan.
- The batter should cook immediately, so loosen it around the edges with a rubber slice, flip over and cook for a few seconds on the other side.
- Slide on to a plate and place your freshly cooked sausage and bacon on the pancake
- Sprinkle the grated cheese over the pancake and add a spoonful of Ballymaloe Original Relish.
- Fold over the pancake and serve.