Chilli Sin Carne Enchiladas with Ballymaloe Pepper Relish or Fiery Relish
- Cooking Time: 1 hour - Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4
- Serves: 2-4
- Allergens: Wheat, dairy
For this classic Mexican dish, the sky is the limit. Our veggie version is absolutely delicious – and completely meat-free. You can use pre-cooked puy lentils to save some time but don’t forget to turn up the heat a little or a lot with Ballymaloe Pepper Relish or Fiery Relish, respectively.
- 4 flour tortillas
- 125g puy lentils (pre-cooked if preferred)
- 400g can kidney beans (drained & rinsed)
- 1 red onion
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp coriander
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 100ml red wine
- 50g grated Cheddar
- 1 ripe avocado (peeled & sliced)
- Sour cream
- 1 lime (quartered)
- Fresh coriander
- Sea salt & freshly-ground black pepper
- 280g jar Ballymaloe Pepper Relish
- 1 tbsp Fiery Relish
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4.
- Put the puy lentils in a medium pan with 375ml of cold water. Pop the lid on, bring to the boil and then reduce to a gentle simmer for 20 minutes until tender and all the water has been absorbed.
- Meanwhile, finely chop the red onion.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan over a medium heat and fry the onion for 5-6 minutes until softened.
- Finely chop the garlic and add along with the spices. Cook for a further minute.
- Increase the heat to high, add the wine and allow to bubble down for 3-4 minutes. Then stir in half of the Ballymaloe Pepper Relish, kidney beans and lentils. You can also add 1 tbsp of Ballymaloe Fiery Relish at this stage for some further heat.
- Bring to the boil and then reduce to a simmer for 10 minutes.
- Lay the flour tortillas out on a clean surface.
- Divide the lentil mixture evenly between them, spooning it in a sausage shape. Roll over the mixture and continue rolling to completely enclose. Arrange, seam-side down, in a large baking dish.
- Spoon the remaining Ballymaloe Pepper Relish over the enchiladas, scatter with Cheddar cheese and pop in the oven for around 10 minutes until the cheese has melted.
- Serve with dollops of sour cream, avocado slices, fresh lime wedges, a scattering of freshly-ground black pepper and coriander leaves.