Homemade Sausage Rolls with Ballymaloe Original Relish
- Cooking Time: 45 minutes
- Serves: 8
- Allergens: egg, wheat, dairy
Sausage rolls sit firmly in the list of favourite comfort foods. Our recipe uses ready-made puff pastry and a good selection of herbs with garlic. Add in some Ballymaloe Original Relish and you’ve got the perfect combination of pastry, meat and moisture. Definitely a crowd pleaser.
- 450g minced pork
- 1 clove garlic (crushed)
- 1-2 tsp thyme, marjoram, basil and rosemary (mixed and chopped)
- 1 free-range egg (beaten)
- 150g soft breadcrumbs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- For the pastry
- Ballymaloe Original Relish
- 1 egg (beaten)
- A little milk
- 300g puff pastry (homemade or shop bought)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/Gas Mark 4
- Combine all the ingredients for the sausages together and mix well.
- Fry a little of the mixture in a pan to check the seasoning and adjust if necessary.
- If homemade puff pastry, roll out on a floured work surface, into a big rectangle a little thicker than a one Euro coin. Cut lengthways into two, long, even rectangles.
- If shop bought puff pastry cut lengthways into two, long, even rectangles.
- Spread a thin layer of Ballymaloe Original Relish on each rectangle.
- Roll the sausage mixture into sausage shapes with your hands and place them lengthways along the middle of each rectangle.
- Mix the egg and milk and brush the pastry with this mixture, then fold one side of the pastry over, wrapping the filling inside.
- Press down with your fingers or the edge of a spoon to seal.
- Cut the long rolls into the sausage size you want and space them out on a baking tray.
- Brush with the rest of the egg wash and bake in a preheated oven for 25 minutes or until puffed, golden and cooked through.
- Serve with Ballymaloe Original Relish.