Mac & Cheese with Crunchy Topping
- Cooking Time: 40 minutes
- Serves: 6
- Allergens: wheat, dairy, egg
Plenty of Cheddar and Parmesan give this dish a rich cheesiness. The topping uses more Parmesan and some chopped chives, so there is a lot more flavour to the crunch. Add in a little garlic and Ballymaloe Original Relish and you’ve a unique take on mac and cheese.
- 400g Macaroni (dried)
- 300ml Whole milk
- 250ml Cream
- 200g White Cheddar (grated)
- 75g Parmesan (finely grated)
- 1 Garlic clove (crushed)
- 100g Ballymaloe Original Relish
- 300g Cooked ham (diced or shredded)
- 100g White breadcrumbs
- 50g Butter (melted)
- 3 Tablespoons chives (finely chopped)
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200⁰C (fan 180oC) or Gas Mark 6.
- Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil and cook the pasta for 8/ 10 minutes until al dente (or according to pack instructions). Drain well.
- in the same saucepan add the milk, cream, Cheddar, Parmesan, garlic and salt & pepper to the pasta. Place on a medium heat to bring it to a simmer. Add back in the cooked pasta and stir continuously.
- Allow to simmer slightly for a few minutes to thicken before stirring in the ham. Transfer to a large baking dish or four individual ones.
- Dot your Ballymaloe Original Relish all over and swirl in a little, before setting aside.
- Mix the breadcrumbs, butter, Parmesan and two tablespoons of chives together in a small bowl and scatter them evenly over the top of the pasta.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes until the topping is golden and crunchy. Scatter over the remaining chives and serve straight away with a crisp green salad.