Melty Mac & Cheese with a Crunchy Topping & Ballymaloe Original Relish
- Cooking Time: 40 minutes - Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6
- Serves: 6
- Allergens: Wheat, dairy, egg
Mac & Cheese is the foodie equivalent of a big hug in a bowl and our recipe uses plenty of Cheddar and Parmesan to ensure your cheese cravings are sated! Our crunchy topping uses even more Parmesan and chopped chives and, combined with a hint of garlic and some iconic Ballymaloe Original Relish, it’s a recipe that’s guaranteed to bring a smile to your face – and your tastebuds too!
- 400g macaroni (dried)
- 300ml whole milk
- 250ml cream
- 200g white Cheddar (grated)
- 75g Parmesan (finely grated)
- 1 garlic clove (crushed)
- 300g cooked ham (diced or shredded)
- 100g white breadcrumbs
- 50g butter (melted)
- 3 tbsp chives (finely chopped)
- Sea salt & freshly-ground black pepper
- 100g Ballymaloe Original Relish
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6.
- Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil and cook the pasta for 8-10 minutes until al dente (or according to pack instructions). Drain well and leave in your colander.
- In the same saucepan add the milk, cream, Cheddar, Parmesan, garlic and salt & pepper. Place on a medium heat to bring it to a simmer. Add back in the cooked pasta and stir continuously.
- Allow to simmer slightly for a few minutes to thicken before stirring in the ham. Transfer to a large baking dish or four individual ones.
- Dot (or dollop!) your Ballymaloe Original Relish all over and swirl into your cheesy sauce.
- Mix the breadcrumbs, butter, Parmesan and two tablespoons of chives together in a small bowl and scatter them evenly over the top of the pasta.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes until the topping is golden and crunchy. Scatter any remaining chives on top and serve straight away with a crisp green salad.