Simple Chilli Con Carne with Ballymaloe Pepper Relish
- Cooking Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- Serves: 6
- Allergens: Dairy
Chilli Con Carne is a versatile dish which literally means ‘chilli with meat.’ For those who’d prefer a veggie version, make Chilli Sin Carne instead, swapping in your protein alternative of choice. Chilli Sin or Con Carne is perfect with rice, in a wrap or as a topping for chili fries. We use Ballymaloe Pepper Relish for a little further heat, but our Original Relish is equally as delicious and fully of tomato-y goodness!
- 700g stewing beef (remove the fat and cut into 1-2cm cubes) (or your protein alternative of choice)
- 2 tbsp Ballymaloe Pepper Relish
- 400g tin tomatoes
- 400g tin kidney beans (drained)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1-2 onions (chopped)
- 5 cloves of garlic (crushed)
- 1 green or red chilli (chopped, leave the seeds in)
- 1-2 tsp ground cumin
- Salt & pepper
- Sour cream, coriander leaves & grated Cheddar cheese to garnish
- Heat the olive oil in a saucepan. Season the meat with salt & pepper and cook until the meat browns slightly.
- Add the onion and garlic and stir for a minute.
- Add the tin of tomatoes, Ballymaloe Pepper Relish or Original Relish, chopped chilli and a pinch of salt.
- Cover with a lid and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for an hour or until the flavours blend.
- By the end of the cooking time, the liquid should have reduced to a thick sauce. If it gets too dry during cooking, just add a little more water or liquid from the beans (or pop it in the oven at 150°C/300°F/Gas Mark 2).
- Finally, add the cumin and kidney beans, and simmer for a further 10 minutes.
- Serve with rice, a spoonful of sour cream, some grated Cheddar and coriander leaves.