Breakfast Muffins with Ballymaloe Original Relish
- Cooking Time: 40 minutes - Preheat oven to 170°C/325°F/Gas Mark 3
- Serves: 12
- Allergens: Wheat, dairy, eggs, sulphites
Julie Andrews might have counted a crisp apple strudel as one of her favourite things, but – for us – it’s a perfectly-made muffin with cheese, prosciutto and a generous helping of Ballymaloe Original Relish (our Pepper Relish is just as tasty, but with a little bit of a kick!) To ensure your muffins are the best they can be, don’t over-stir your mix. Once the ingredients have come together, put your stirring spoon down! Stick to this rule and you are guaranteed light, delicious muffins.
- 375g self-raising flour
- 300g prosciutto/ham (finely sliced/chopped)
- 1 cup wild garlic leaves or baby spinach (chopped)
- ¼ cup chives (chopped)
- 180g Cheddar cheese (grated)
- 125ml extra virgin olive oil
- 250ml milk
- 2 free-range eggs (whisked)
- Sea salt & cracked black pepper
- 140g Ballymaloe Original Relish or Ballymaloe Pepper Relish (plus extra to serve)
- Muffin tin (125ml x 12)
- Preheat your oven to 170°C/325°F/Gas Mark 3. Place the flour, relish, prosciutto, wild garlic, chives, Cheddar, oil, milk, eggs, salt and pepper in a large bowl and mix until just combined.
- Divide the mixture between 12 lightly-greased muffin tins, lined with paper cases, and cook for 25 minutes or until they leave a skewer clean.
- Turn out on to a wire rack to cool slightly. Serve with an extra, generous dollop of Ballymaloe Original or Pepper Relish.