Crushed Avocado on Toast with a Soft Fried Egg and Ballymaloe Original Relish
- Cooking Time: 12 minutes
- Serves: 1
- Allergens: egg, gluten
Avocado and egg are a lovely combination and with added Ballymaloe Original Relish, they’re perfect together. A good sourdough bread is just right for this simple dish, but as long as you’ve bread which is thick enough to hold the toppings. You can also use roughly smashed broad beans for this recipe.
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 tsp chopped mint
- A squeeze of lime juice
- Red or green chilli finely chopped (optional)
- 1 slice of bread (preferably sourdough)
- 1-2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 free-range egg
- Sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- Ballymaloe Original Relish
- Carefully remove the avocado flesh from its skin and mash with a fork. Add the mint and a squeeze of lime. Season with salt, then mix well. If you like a little heat add in some finely chopped chilli.
- Heat a little olive oil in a heavy-bottomed frying pan. Toast the bread in it for about two minutes on each side, or until golden around the edges, ensuring it has absorbed all the oil. Take out and set aside. Wipe the pan out with a piece of kitchen paper and put it back on the heat.
- When the pan begins to sizzle again, fry the egg in a little olive oil.
- Spread the avocado mixture over the toasted bread. Place the egg on top and serve with Ballymaloe Original Relish on the side.