Crushed Avocado on Toast, with a Sunny Side Up Egg & Ballymaloe Original Relish
- Cooking Time: 12 minutes
- Serves: 1
- Allergens: Egg, gluten
Avocado and egg are a lovely combination – while the addition of Ballymaloe Original Relish brings the whole dish together. A good sourdough bread is just right for this simple dish, but any bread will suffice, as long as it’s thick enough to take the toppings! A sunny side up egg (or, in other words, a fried egg with a soft yolk) adds some gooey goodness, while you can also add some roughly-smashed broad beans for some additional texture.
- 1 slice of bread (preferably sourdough)
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 free-range egg
- 1 tsp mint
- A squeeze of lime juice
- Red or green chilli (finely chopped) (optional)
- 1-2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt & freshly-cracked black pepper
- Ballymaloe Original Relish
- Carefully remove the avocado flesh from its skin and mash with a fork. Add the mint and a squeeze of lime. Season with salt, then mix well. If you like a little heat, add in some finely-chopped chilli.
- Heat a little olive oil in a heavy-bottomed frying pan. Toast the bread in the pan for about 2 minutes each side, or until golden around the edges, ensuring it has absorbed all the oil. Take out and set aside. Wipe the pan out with a piece of kitchen paper and put it back on the heat.
- When the pan begins to sizzle again, fry the egg in a little olive oil (2-3 minutes for a sunny side up egg, where the whites will be just set, but the yolk still gooey).
- Spread the avocado mixture over the toasted bread. Pop the egg on top and serve with a plentiful helping of Ballymaloe Original Relish on the side.