Festive Waldorf Salad with Ballymaloe Mayo
- Cooking Time: 20 minutes
- Serves: 4 - 6
- Allergens: Nuts, dairy, mustard
This salad is a fresh Christmas favourite that’s ready in minutes, and less time in the kitchen means more time for festive fun with family & friends. This recipe can be amplified using leftover shredded turkey, duck or goose, turning it from a side/starter into a main.
- 50g walnuts
- 2 eating apples (e.g. Granny Smith), cored and diced
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 100g Ballymaloe Mayo
- 2 tbsp natural yogurt
- 1 level tsp Dijon mustard
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 150g seedless red grapes, halved
- 50g dried cranberries
- 3 celery stalks, thinly sliced
- 1 Little Gem lettuce, torn
- Heat a dry frying pan over a medium-high heat. Add the walnuts and toast for 3–4 minutes, until lightly golden and aromatic. Tip into a bowl and leave to cool, then roughly chop.
- Toss the apples (skins on if you like) with a splash of the lemon juice to prevent them from discolouring.
- Combine the remaining lemon juice with the Ballymaloe Mayo, yogurt and mustard in a large bowl and season well.
- Add the apples, grapes, dried cranberries and celery to the dressing and toss well to ensure everything is evenly coated.
- Arrange the lettuce leaves on a serving platter and spoon over the apple mixture and any remaining dressing from the bowl. Scatter over the toasted walnuts just before serving.