Panko Crumbed Cauliflower Steak with Fiery Sweet Potato Fries & Ballymaloe Mayo
- Cooking Time: 50 minutes - Preheat the oven to 230°C/450°F/Gas Mark 8
- Serves: 4
- Allergens: Wheat, dairy, mustard, egg
This fiery cauliflower steak turns up the heat, as do the spicy sweet potato fries and Ballymaloe Fiery Relish. Thankfully, a good dollop of Ballymaloe Mayo will save your tastebuds from overheating!
- 1 large head of cauliflower
- 2 large, sweet potatoes (peeled & cut into skinny fries)
- 3 medium free-range eggs (beaten and mixed with 1 tsp Ballymaloe Fiery Relish)
- 150g panko crumb
- 50g cornmeal (ground corn)
- 4oz plain flour
- 1 tsp paprika
- Cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp onion powder (optional)
- 1 tsp salt
- Grapeseed oil for frying
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cornflour
- 2 tbsp breadcrumbs
- 2 oz natural yoghurt
- Lime juice
- Sea salt & freshly-cracked black pepper
- Ballymaloe Mayo
- Ballymaloe Fiery Relish
- Suitable for Vegetarians
- Preheat the oven to 230°C/450°F/Gas Mark 8.
- For the sauce, whisk all of the ingredients together, taste, adjust seasoning and set aside.
- For the fries, line a baking tray with parchment paper. Mix all of the dry ingredients together in a bowl first, then add in your skinny fries. Toss to coat and make a single layer on your lined baking tray. Do not overcrowd your tray, or it will cause your fries to wilt and soften. Bake for 25 minutes, turning halfway through.
- Trim the leaves from the cauliflower and trim the end of the stem but leave the core intact. Slice the cauliflower from the centre into 4 steaks of about 1 to 1½cm thick.
- Mix the panko, cornmeal, paprika, onion powder & salt on one plate. Place the flour on another plate, and the beaten eggs (mixed with a little Ballymaloe Fiery Relish) on a separate plate.
- Coat each cauliflower in the flour, then the egg and finally in the panko mixture.
- Add 3 floz of grapeseed oil to a pan over medium heat.
- Once the pan is hot, add the cauliflower steaks. Cook until they are golden on both sides. This will take about 3 minutes per side. Place the steaks on a lined baking tray and finish in a preheated oven (turned down to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4). Place on a kitchen-paper lined tray before serving to drain off any excess oil.
- Serve the steaks on a hot plate with a side of crunchy sweet potato fries and a generous portion of Ballymaloe Mayo or, if you really want to feel the heat, some more of our Fiery Relish!