Vegetarian Shepherdless Pie with Ballymaloe Original Relish
- Cooking Time: 1 hour - Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4
- Serves: 6
- Allergens: Dairy
Shepherd’s Pie is a family favourite but for vegetarians, a Shepherdless Pie is equally as tasty. This is comfort food at its best, with Ballymaloe Original Relish providing a big hug of tasty, tomato-y richness. This recipe works perfectly with mashed potato or mashed sweet potato as a topping. We use Quorn mince as our base for this recipe, but a mixture of mashed sweet potatoes & lentils can also work well.
- 450g Quorn mince (or sweet potatoes and lentils)
- 450g mashed potato
- 2 tsp Ballymaloe Original Relish
- 110g onion (chopped)
- 1 tsp tomato puree
- 30g butter
- 30g flour
- 450ml stock or leftover gravy
- 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves (chopped)
- 1 tsp parsley (chopped)
- Garlic butter
- Salt & freshly ground pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4.
- Melt the butter in a pan, then add the onions. Cover and sweat until soft. Add the flour, then stir and continue to stir & cook until brown.
- Add the stock and bring to the boil.
- Add the tomato puree, Ballymaloe Original Relish, herbs and salt & pepper and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Add the Quorn mince and stir well, before transferring the mixture to a pie dish.
- Cover with mashed potato and score with a fork.
- Cook in your oven for around 30 minutes, until the top is bubbling and golden.
- Serve with garlic butter and additional Ballymaloe Original Relish on the side.