Roast Duck Salad with Orange, Fennel & Ballymaloe Diced or Sliced Irish Beetroot
- Cooking Time: 10 minutes (90 minutes if cooking the duck - preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F/Gas Mark 5)
- Serves: 6
- Allergens: Nuts
This roast duck salad is terrific with warm, freshly-roasted duck or leftover duck. Packed full of complementary flavours & textures, it’s a real treat to feast on – especially as a delicious dinner party starter or main! We’ve included how to roast your duck as step 1 of the recipe, so feel free to skip if using leftover duck.
- 1 whole roasted duck
- 4 oranges (2 sliced & 2 segmented, free of pith & skin)
- 150g Ballymaloe Diced or Sliced Irish Beetroot (drained)
- 1 fennel bulb (trimmed & thinly sliced)
- 3 small cos lettuces (trimmed & halved)
- 4 handfuls mixed leaves (red)
- 1 ripe pomegranate (seeded & free of pith)
- 200g toasted walnuts
- Honey (for drizzling)
- Sea salt and freshly-cracked black pepper
- Ballymaloe Balsamic & Irish Apple Cider Vinegrette
- Contains nuts
- Not suitable for vegetarians
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F/Gas Mark 5 and cook your duck for 1-1½ hours until the juices run clear at the thigh.
- Carve the roasted duck into 6 portions and keep warm.
- In a large bowl, toss the mixed leaves with Ballymaloe Balsamic & Irish Apple Cider Vinegrette – enough to make them shine! Sprinkle on some sea salt and freshly-cracked black pepper, then spread evenly onto your plates/platter.
- Using a pastry brush, brush each half cos lettuce with the vinegrette and season. Place half on each plate and then scatter the sliced and segmented orange segments around the salad.
- Place the duck in 6 mounds around your platter, or individually portion on your plates, and casually add the fennel, toasted walnuts, drained Ballymaloe Irish Beetroot (diced or sliced) and pomegranate seeds.
- Finally, sprinkle sea salt over the duck and drizzle with honey for a decadent final flourish.