Shepherd’s Pie with Ballymaloe Original Relish
- Cooking Time: 1 hour - Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4
- Serves: 6
- Allergens: Dairy
Shepherd’s Pie is a family favourite and for good reason: its mix of lamb in a rich sauce, smothered with buttery mash is comfort food at its best. Our recipe uses Ballymaloe Original Relish in the sauce, giving an extra burst of flavour to this kitchen classic. You can also make it Shepherdless by using lentils and sweet potatoes instead of the lamb.
- 450g minced cooked lamb (or sweet potatoes and lentils)
- 450g mashed potato
- 110g onion (chopped)
- 30g butter
- 30g flour
- 450ml stock or leftover gravy
- 1 tsp tomato puree
- 2 dessertspoons Ballymaloe Original Relish
- Garlic butter
- 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves (chopped)
- 1 tsp parsley (chopped)
- Salt & freshly-ground pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4.
- Melt the butter in a pan, add the onions, then cover and sweat until soft. Add the flour, stir and cook until brown.
- Add the stock and bring to the boil.
- Add the tomato puree, Ballymaloe Original Relish, herbs, and salt & pepper and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Add the lamb and stir well, then transfer the mixture to a pie dish.
- Cover with mashed potato and score with a fork.
- Cook in your pre-heated oven for 30 minutes. Serve with garlic butter, Ballymaloe Original Relish and your vegetables of choice.