Smoked Mackerel Taco with Pickled Red Onions, Cucumber Ribbons and Ballymaloe Irish Beetroot
- Cooking Time: 30 minutes
- Serves: 2
- Allergens: Fish, egg, mustard
Our smoked mackerel tacos pack a real punch, full of freshness and flavour. Thanks to our Fiery Relish, these mouth-watering morsels taste like an Irish summer in a Mexican taco!
Not a mackerel lover? Feel free to swap for a different fish, meat or protein source of your choice.
Our Ballymaloe Irish Beetroot is grown, pickled and packed in East Cork. To learn more about our beetroot click here.
- 2 smoked mackerel fillets (skin on or off and free of bones)
- 4 6" corn tortillas
- 8 slices of Ballymaloe Sliced Irish Beetroot (drained)
- 4 tbsp pickled red onions
- 1 small cucumber (peeled into ribbons)
- ¼ red onion (thinly sliced)
- ¼ head iceberg lettuce (shredded)
- 4 tbsp Ballymaloe Mayo mixed with 2 tbsp Ballymaloe Fiery Relish
- For the Pickled Red Onions
- 2 small red onions (peeled and thinly sliced)
- 1 cup white wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp sea salt
- Contains fish
- Contains egg
- Contains mustard
- Shallow fry the corn tortillas in sunflower oil.
- Use a lightly-clamped tong to create a taco shape, draining any excess oil on to kitchen paper.
- Break the mackerel fillets into chunky pieces.
- Spread some fiery mayo inside each taco.
- Fill each taco with the shredded iceberg lettuce, sliced red onions, cucumber ribbons, smoked mackerel chunks, Ballymaloe Sliced Irish Beetroot and your homemade pickled red onions.
- Add a dollop of the fiery mayo to the top of the taco and ta-da!
- To make the Pickled Red Onions: Peel and thinly slice 2 small red onions and place them in a clean & dry Ballymaloe Foods jar / jam jar. Mix the vinegar, sugar and salt together, and bring to the boil. Pour over the onions, then allow to cool. Once cool, pop the lid on the jar, and use as needed.
- Tip: We suggest a napkin (or three) to tuck into these tacos with! We really hope you enjoy eating these tacos as much as we enjoyed creating this recipe!