Buttermilk Chicken Burger with Ballymaloe Irish Mayo
- Cooking Time: 20 minutes
- Serves: 6
Sure we all know that chicken burgers are incredible. But our special buttermilk chicken burger with wedges and Ballymaloe Irish Mayo? Well, that’s something else altogether! This is your chance to reward your family with a fantastic treat they’ll never forget. By elevating the taste of the humble burger with our mix of natural ingredients, you can steal the show at dinner time. A simple recipe to put together, the hard part is telling everyone that they’re all gone. Remember to pre-heat your air-fryer for your chicken pieces – once coated, get them cooked ASAP! A big spoonful of Ballymaloe Pepper Relish or Ballymaloe Fiery Relish are also welcome additions to this burger, adding a little more heat.
- For your marinade & coating:
- 6 chicken fillets
- 375ml buttermilk
- 225g plain flour
- 100g corn starch
- 2 tbsp ground paprika
- 1 tbsp garlic salt
- 1 tbsp onion salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground white pepper
- 2 tsp caster sugar
- Spray of cooking oil
- To assemble your burgers - makes 6:
- 6 brioche burger buns
- Butterhead lettuce
- 6 tomato slices (thickly-sliced)
- Red cabbage (shredded)
- Ballymaloe Irish Mayo
- Ballymaloe Pepper Relish / Ballymaloe Fiery Relish (optional)
- Oven-cooked potato wedges (optional)
- Preheat your air-fryer to 190°C.
- Combine the chicken fillets and buttermilk in a large, shallow dish. Refrigerate for at least one hour or, preferably, overnight.
- Combine the flour, corn starch, paprika, onion salt, garlic salt, pepper & caster sugar in a bowl.
- Remove the chicken from the buttermilk, the add the drained chicken pieces, one at a time, to the spice mixture. Shake to coat in the spice mixture, then shake again to remove any excess.
- Pop your coated chicken pieces into your pre-heated air-fryer with 3-4 sprays of cooking oil at 190°C for 25 minutes or until fully cooked, with an internal meat temperature of 75°C.
- Once cooked, remove from the fryer and keep warm while gathering the rest of the ingredients.
- Gently toast the brioche buns and spread a layer of Ballymaloe Irish Mayo on both sides. Feel free to also add a spoonful of Ballymaloe Pepper Relish or Ballymaloe Fiery Relish for a little more heat.
- Lay the lettuce on top of your bottom bun, then a slice of tomato, shredded red cabbage, crispy chicken and, finally, the lid.
- Serve with crispy, oven-baked potato wedges and extra Ballymaloe Irish Mayo for dipping.